When I last did one of these ‘I SWEAR I’m gonna post more’ type posts, I said I was going to do Blogtober – i.e. posting every day in October. I did that, kind of, a little bit, not entirely. I missed 2 days between October 1st and 25th, and I haven’t posted since then.
I very definitely haven’t just been doing nothing in that time. It’s now 9.45pm on Tuesday 20th November and I am doing panicking about how little time I have left before my contract finishes at work. Not because I don’t know what I’m going to do, but because oh my God there is SO MUCH to do.
Since I last blogged, I’ve done a fair amount of stuff, a mix of fun at home stuff, fun at work stuff and at work stuff, including but not limited to:
- Been flying in my boyfriend’s new aeroplane
- Seen friends in Glasgow that we haven’t seen for months
- Continued to learn Mandarin (I know! Exciting! I want to write a blog post on this soon)
- Done 2 vivas for students (weird, because I was the examiner?)
- Had some really annoying issues with my depression medication that’s meant that I am genuinely finding it hard to get enough sleep – not that I can’t sleep, but that I can’t stop sleeping. It’s really annoying and my love for the NHS is the only thing stopped me from exploding about the fact that I’m still waiting for a follow up appointment to try and fix things despite this having a massive impact on my day to day life. (If anyone is interested in weird ways depression can impact your life, let me know – happy to talk about it if people are interested or think it might be helpful)
- Took part in 2 weeks of I’m A Scientist live chats with schools across the UK (again, I’ll write a blog post on this at some point soon)
- Been home to see my Mum for a weekend (thanks to aforementioned medication issues I slept for about 60% of the time I was there..)
- Advertised and spoke to students interested in an MSc project that I proposed, so that’s exciting (not sure if any of them have chosen the project yet but fingers crossed!)
- Given interviews for 2 separate 30 Under 30 things (beyond hilarious)
- Gave an invited talk at the James Hutton Institute about the importance of academic blogging (the irony of giving said talk having not posted anything here for weeks was not lost on me)
- Had my first ever full body massage (OMG DO IT, I felt like a new woman for days afterwards)
- Signed up and started volunteering as a Coordinator for Pint of Science – we are bringing the event to Aberdeen in May 2019 (I’m very excited about this)
- Designed some last minute Christmas stock for Science On A Postcard (it’s a collab with Wonk! Magazine – coming soooon)
- Booked all of my accommodation for adventuring end of December to February 2019 (EXCITING! Again, another blog post coming on this soon)
- Cleared out my wardrobe and furnished Aberdeen’s charity shops with an embarrassing amount of clothes
- Gave a Cafe Scientifique talk in Tarland, Aberdeenshire, where I talked about clinical trials, research waste, and the work we’re doing at Trial Forge to make trials more efficient
- Submitted the hard bound copy of my PhD thesis (proof in the form of a photograph below) and ordered robes etc because I AM GRADUATING ON FRIDAY.
Anyway, that’s it for now. I’m going to sort my inbox out before I go to bed, and do my very best not to sleep through my alarm for the hundredth time this month. Tomorrow is going to be super busy and brilliant because we have a visiting researcher at work, and I have multiple Skype chats to make sure I get everything I want to get done, done, before I leave the Unit at the end of December.
What I really want to do now is say I’m going to do Blogmas – i.e. posting every day in December in the run up to Christmas, but we all know that if I say I’ll do the whole Blogmas thing, I’ll probably get caught up with other things. So, I won’t say I’m doing Blogmas, but I will update soon, probably with graduation photographs after Friday 🙂
Have a lovely week everyone!